Dan Singer is a dungeon master, film director and BDSM educational author at Wasteland and has been actively involved in the BDSM scene since 1975. Today, he joins us on the Sex.com Blog to answer ten questions about BDSM. You can see more of his writings and films at Wasteland.com.
1. Why are BDSM Attributes (tools, clothing and gear) often so expensive?
- There are several reasons why BDSM attributes are expensive. The majority are being sold through the sex-industry where it is normal policy to double or quadruple prices.
- The market for BDSM attributes is small and many items are being produced in small quantities and often (largely or partially) handmade.
- Raw materials such as leather are quite expensive.
- A lot of attributes, such as riding crops, canes, rope, etcetera, are much cheaper when bought in normal consumer outlets, like riding or boat shops, outdoor shops or garden centers.
- Other items – such as floggers, cuffs, collars and leashes – are relatively easy to make yourself. This can be more fun and a lot cheaper.